Wrapped up Part II the other night and have to say that Dostoevsky certainly has a comic's eye, although one senses the potentially tragic undertones. For Dostoevsky the aristocracy seems to be one largely made up of capricious souls more obsessed with good manners than any profound sense of their being. This is particularly true for the Epanchins, who comically wrestle with their emotions in one scene after another as he places them in very odd and unnerving situations that test the limits of poor Lizaveta Prokofyevna's endurance. Of her daughters, Aglaya, is the most interesting. A real beauty much along the same lines as Nastasya Filippovna Barashkov, who likewise seems to have a hold on Prince Myshkin's emotional strings. Part II ended with Lizaveta demanding to know the extent of the Prince's interests in her youngest daughter. The Prince insisted his feelings were Platonic, but one senses there is more to be said on the matter in later chapters. ...

Uh, no....
ReplyDeleteJulie Christie she is not. You might want to share this with Barton, though. I think he is a fan.
I remember Dr. Zhivago as one of the most beautiful movies I'd ever seen. I also remember it as one of the most effective pieces of anti-Soviet, anti-communist propaganda. It has been years -- probably when it came out -- so I'm not sure how it would seem now. But that's how I remember it.
Gintaras, this is an amazing blog.
ReplyDeleteThe entire history of Russian film and literature all in one place. I'm in awe every time I stop by.
Thanks av. The new Russian Dr. Zhivago is well worth a look. Much more true to Pasternak's novel. Pasternak was off limits during Soviet times, which was why Lean made his cinematic version. Pasternak had nothing positive to say about Bolvsheviks or the revolution. Unfortunately Lean trimmed a lot off the novel and didn't give Tonya her fair due, I thought. She is a much more captivating woman in the novel and in the new film version. Makes you wonder why he would give her up for Lara. But, Zhivago is an odd character, more in step with the 19th century Nihilists, I thought, than the modern 20th century Russian.
ReplyDelete